Monday 7 October 2013

SAVE VS. SPLURGE (SERIES 2)

Let's talk Mascaras.

Generally speaking, I am not overly brand loyal when it comes to cosmetics. I love to trial a whole range of products; from what beauty gurus are raving about to what my friends are using. The exception to this rule, and the one product I'll always come back to, is my mascara.


While essentially this post is a comparison between two like-mascaras I have a clear favourite and it might surprise you to learn which one that is.


Everyone is different in terms of what they want from a mascara. Personally, I want an even coating of product on my lashes, that doesn't clump but makes my lashes look fuller and slightly longer. I don't necessarily want my lashes to look bare and natural but I certainly don't want spider eyes either. The following comparison is of my favourite mascaras to achieve my own version of the perfect lashes.






The Mascara:


Maybelline Full n Soft Vs. Dior Show.


*NB to make this review fair, the comparison products in the photos have been applied without pre curling my lashes with an eyelash curler. For the best result with any mascara I would always recommend curling your lashes!


Dior Show

This mascara is described as a "Runway mascara with extreme volume and a ""lash-extension"" effect. It does provide a great even coating of the formula that subtly plumps and lengthens my lashes.  What I also love about this mascara is that it is build-able without getting too clumpy. If I had to fault the product it would be that because the brush is quite large I find it can be a little difficult to work with at times when I am trying to be quite precise with my application. Overall I do love this mascara for the even application and perfect amount of volume, lengthening and lift.


My own lashes Before (top) and After (bottom) applying Dior Show
*See NB


Dior Show retails for $51 at David Jones.

Maybelline Full N Soft 

I have been itching for an opportunity to rave about this mascara! It is my Holy Grail of mascaras, and after trialling plenty of low to high end mascaras over the years I am yet to find one better than Maybelline's Full N Soft. The Dior Show was put in this review as the closest comparison I have found, but at more than double the price of the Maybelline mascara, why would you bother? It gives the perfect amount of volume and lengthening while the brush is big enough to give you an even application yet small enough to get precise with it (which is where the Dior Show falls short).


My own lashes Before (top) and After (bottom) applying Maybelline Full N Soft
*See NB


It retails for around $18 but is regularly on special at any supermarket, pharmacy, priceline or department store for any where between $10-$15. I have tried the waterproof version of 
this mascara and it is just as good.


                    Top lashes Full N Soft, Bottom Show




No comments:

Post a Comment